Friday, October 14, 2005

Autumn Leaves Must Fall



Harrison and I just returned from visiting my family in Southern California. My older brother Ken suprised my mom and younger brother Larry by driving up with Joanne for Sunday and Monday. It was great having the three of us boys together, although it may have been overload for my dad. He seemed to tolerate us remarkable well. But it was pretty obvious that we were tiring him out.
Its tough watching a person's body fail. And then there's the indignation of not having complete control of muscles and bodily functions. After a while it can really start to mess with your self-perception. I wish I could just wave a hand and make him completely whole.
As I walked down the hallway on our last day, I thought, "That might be the last time I ever see my dad again." Instantly I was overwhelmed with emotion, and found it difficult to talk.
Is it not amazing that for my plane trip back to Seattle, I would be seated next to a young woman who was returning to Washington after visiting her dying father? She had such a steady countenance, and a wonderful, peaceful sense of purpose. We talked for two straight hours as kindred spirits walking similar paths.
Dealing with the loss of a parent is tough. Not as tough as the loss of a child. And much tougher than the loss of a job. But dealing with the loss is the point. I am so thankful for those around me who will help me walk through the dark time, and be there to remind me the sun will shine again.
Time to go smell the roses of life.


1 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

daddy,

i would love to read new blog posts from you if you have the time!

it is a fun way to keep in touch.

love you

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home